1) I am
fortunate enough to have parents that appreciate art and history. From the time that I was ten years old until
I became incorrigibly annoying, my parents and I packed our bags and travelled
throughout Europe to see the classic empires and their masterpieces. Although a single moment never comes to mind
specifically, these summer experiences are the framework of my, sometimes
euro-centric, view of the world and love for the lamp of history. I interacted with other cultures, other
languages, and probably most importantly, challenged the visual possibilities
of culture as compared to the distinctly suburban houses of the U.S. Because of these trips, I never stopped
reading.
I
followed these vacations up with college trips to Europe and South America. These allowed a bit more freedom and choice
in finding my way throughout Europe.
After graduation, I found my first job working at an art museum that
focused on European art in the Eugene community. Here I experienced my first interactions with
education. These experienced caused me
to view the world with an open lens (or at least as much as these experience
allow that lens to be open- tricky slope here).
As an
adult, I now realize the many possible avenues of choice that culture,
government, literature, and policy can take.
Therefore I make specific efforts to try and stay educated within the
community. These are not limited to, but
include Membership or patronage with SFMOMA, de Young, Commonwealth Club, Cal
Shakes, Foreign Affairs, American Historical Association, The Economist, and
The New Yorker. Constant interaction
with each of these organizations allows me to, try to, fulfill the claim that
we put on our students as a lifetime learner in my subject matter.
The Commonwealth
club is a specific example of a continuing education for our public. (A little tip here, SMC students get tickets
for only 7$ and your student ID continues for two years after the date you get
the I.D. Therefore, get it in December
when we finish class, and you get cheap tickets to movie theaters and Commonwealth
Club for two additional years! This also happens to be my favorite seen in
Blazing Saddles.) Wednesday’s nights are
a great time to get away from grading and take BART into the City. These experts challenge me to think about these
issues from different perspectives and also challenge the issues with actual
data and expert points of view. This is
especially powerful in the social studies because these lectures allow detailed
explanations that are not longer prevalent in the media.
2) I haven’t had the opportunity to discuss this topic with
another student yet. I will repost this
specific question after I offer someone candy, coffee, or cash for their
opinions.
3) I’ve got my topic down, but I don’t have a working thesis
statement. I need to perform more
reading and see what evidence is actually in the databases. I know that I want to focus on either
shared-spaced teaching (two teachers working on the same class at the same
time) or benefits of academies and seeing if these academies could be applied
in the suburban setting. These are going
to be the focus of my A.P. Comparative Government and English 12 classes this
year and I want to have information before we propose structural changes to
DVHS. But I just need to read more.
4) Too stressed for artwork…I’ll try again later.
Quotes from this week’s reading that I found powerful:
“she conceives of mathematics as a system of human thought
rather than as a fixed body of procedures, she believes that those students
must have experience in developing and pursuing mathematical hunches and
learning to make mathematical arguments for their ideas within the context of a
discourse community.”
“To regard physics or English classes exclusively as sites
for learning about force or Mark Twain is to underestimate their potential
impact’
We have
to mold how they look at all of literature and how they apply that contextual
situation to their lives and then apply the language use to how they would
manipulate a blank page.
Hi John. This is Wilson (one of the teachers) from MVHS. I believe you were a long-term sub for one of the English teachers last year.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I like your responses, especially #2. I'm sure you will do an excellent job on your research. It's sounds very interesting and fascinating. I don't think we have the same sections, so let's keep in touch via blog. Good luck at DVHS!
Hi Wilson, thanks for tracking me down. I remember that you were at Marine World with Nicole, Nikki, Adam and J.P. That's a solid group of people. I miss MV because of them.
ReplyDeleteQuick question for you, where is the catalog of other students' blogs? Is there a central place that all of our google pages are connected to? Is that how you found mine? I'm struggling to find other people on the Sunday it's due!
Thanks if you can help. See you around!
_Jon
Jon,
DeleteGo to Moodle and click on MAIT Departmental Site. Then find #2 (2012 Student Cohorts) and click on "Blogs and E-Portfolios". You will see all the links of your classmates' blogs and wikispaces. That's how I saw your name and got access to your blog.
Hope this helps.
WP
Hi Jon,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading about your traveling experiences and how that has contributed to your knowledge base. You brought up so many wonderful points about experiencing different cultures and art forms. It may sound cliche, but I feel it's so important that we continue to expand our horizons in whatever means we can find - like going to museums, lectures, performances. Every meaningful experience contributes to our growth as teachers and as individuals. I applaud your hunger for knowledge and admire your energy to make it happen.
The shared space idea is something our school is investigating for our Algebra 1/AIMS classes. (Algebra 1 plus a support class for typically below grade level students.) We have historically had the same class and teacher for the Alg 1 and the support class, but out of necessity this year we had one section with different teachers. We don't have enough data, but there were enough positives to warrant similar assignments next year.
ReplyDeleteHi Jon,
ReplyDeleteI totally relate to your childhood/adulthood experiences of traveling and educational experiences outside of the classroom. I also have parents who chose to live all over the world and drag my brother and myself (willing or not) to many great sites of artistic and cultural significance. As an adult, I have lived and traveled abroad and continued my own extracurricular education. My family still has season tickets to the Berkeley Rep. Theater, and I very much appreciate the perspective these past and current experiences have given me on the concept of being a lifelong learner. I absolutely plan to expose my own children to these types of experiences early on (though I might not torture them by dragging them through EVERY church in Italy because really, after a while, they all start to look the same...).